Steve Boriss says that today’s journalists are not at all like the journalists described in Long Tom Jefferson’s quote, “were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.” His conclusion, after a well argued middle I will leave you to read at Pajamas, is:
Clearly, when Jefferson said he would prefer “newspapers without a government” to “government without newspapers,” he did not imagine a journalism that was favorably disposed to government and that presented only one view. No doubt, he would have preferred “bloggers without a government” even more.
I’ll buy that for a dollar.
Update: Great points from Ymarsakar in the comments.
- The Pink Flamingo // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 17:30The Pink Flamingo’s 48th Edition of Thursday Thirteen
48TH EDITION, THURSDAY THIRTEENThirteen Illegal Immigrant Ancestors (of mine)If you follow The Pink Flamingo, you know that …
- Rhymes With Right // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 17:41A Movement I Support
There really is no legitimate reason to prevent licensed gun owners — especially those with concealed carry permits — from taking their gun onto a college campus with them. These students recognize that, and are trying to do something about…
- Rhymes With Right // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 17:43More Thoughts On SCOTUS Gun Ban Case
Looking at longer articles on the Supreme Court’s decision to hear the appeal in District of Columbia v. Heller, I came across this curious, yet significant, detail. The justices chose their own wording for what they want to decide in…
- Rhymes With Right // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 17:44McClellan Excerpt A Nothing-Burger With A Side Order Of Hot Air
Everybody is talking about this tiny excerpt from Scott McClellan’s upcoming book. Let’s consider the three paragraphs and what they say — and do not say. The most powerful leader in the world had called upon me to speak on…
- The Amboy Times // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 19:04Muslims Riot in Calcutta
Like the Danish Cartoon Jihad, large groups of Muslims riot over simple criticism. Troops have been deployed in the Indian city of Calcutta after protests over a controversial writer turned into riots. Police using tear gas and baton charges were
- Chuck Adkins » Wednesday Open Trackback & Open Thread // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 20:01 […] to Stuck On Stupid, Perri Nelson’s Website, Rosemary’s Thoughts, and Wolf Pangloss, thanks to Linkfest Haven […]
- Right Voices » Blog Archive » Happy Thanksgiving // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 21:38[…] Crazy Rants of Samantha Burns, The World According to Carl, Pirate’s Cove, The Pink Flamingo, Wolf Pangloss, Dumb Ox Daily News, and CORSARI D’ITALIA, thanks to Linkfest Haven Deluxe. Bookmark to: […]
- Mark My Words // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 23:01Trespass, and then you can own it
That’s the lesson to take from the actions of a former District Judge, who has managed to make a couple’s land worthless, while he and his lawyer wife tie up a good portion of the property in court.
- third world county // Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 23:44In Every Thing Give Thanks: T-13; 1.48
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18
- The Pink Flamingo // Thursday, November 22, 2007 at 00:30When Bullying Over Weight Causes Suicide
THE MEGAN MEIERS STORY
Have you heard the story of Megen Meiers, who killed herself after being abused by neighbors …